Just guessing, but even if it's non-volatile RAM, I would expect it to be faster than a hard drive as typically RAM writes are significantly faster than hard disk writes (think of your virtual memory cache).

-Chipp

Richard Gaskin wrote:

I could be mistaken, but I believe the difference is also a function of the type of RAM used in flash drives, since non-volatile RAM is slower than the type we use in computer memory. I.e., a USB flash drive should be expected to be slower than a USB hard drive.