Chipp Walters wrote:
Just guessing, but even if it's non-volatile RAM, I would expect it to be faster than a hard drive as typically RAM writes are significantly faster than hard disk writes (think of your virtual memory cache).

Very different mechanism under the hood, from what little I know.

I was able to turn up an interview with Seagate CEO Bill Watkins which addresses this:

    If you want to have a very rich audio or video experience,
    no matter what you do, you're going to need a hard drive.
    Flash memory can't handle the data rates that a hard drive
    can. The data rates on flash are too slow to handle
    high-quality video and audio.

<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/sep2005/tc20050927_1608_tc057.htm?campaign_id=rss_tech>

I still haven't found specifics on Flash drive speed relative to hard drives, but at least we have one authoritative voice to confirm what we see in our own experience: Flash drives are convenient, but not necessarily zippy.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Managing Editor, revJournal