Hi, Stephen. I'm very comfortable with rev. It became my 'weapon of choice' very quickly once I discovered it.

economic: using the minimum of time or resources necessary for effectiveness

One example is needing the size of a file in a folder of thousands. Creating the output generated by 'the files' is not economical in this case. However, as discussed in the thread, the same output can facilitate a speedy routine if the entire output is required. Both have merit. I had already 'rolled my own' as I didn't see another option, but wondered if there was another way I hadn't discovered - hence the original post.

JC

Stephen Barncard wrote:
Thanks for the info. I am just of the opinion that the file functions in rev could possibly be more economical - it's as easy as that.

By Economical, do you mean a command for every variation? The problem with that is that the more definitions that are in the message path, the slower Rev gets. If Rev made up a specific function for everything, Rev might not perform as well, not to mention the cross-platform sync, documentation and bug issues.

I quite like it that Rev gives us the 'primitives' sometimes with these things where we might want to 'roll our own' and quite frankly, I look forward to writing efficient functions and handlers to do what I need with the data.

Once you get comfortable with Rev, you'll make up your own libraries for what you need to do that stock Rev can't.