Thanks for looking into this for me.
Ideally could you file the bug report? If they ask any followon
questions you will probably know the answer!
Let me know the bug number and I will put in "me too" if that will help.
I never worked out why fedora/redhat insists on patching the kernel
the way they do...
I have opened the yum kernel source file and there are quite a few
Fedora-related patches. Any one could be the issue.
Maybe I will just work out how to revert the kernel update in the
interim... there is probably a YUM option for that...

Thanks again. As least it was good to know I wasnt doing something
silly this time.
Gordon