Hi Claire,

Thank you - happy to see a paper with such a detailed description of your
experience with both usability of Beam per se and the execution on the
Flink runner!
The paper looks well-written, and, from a quick look at the code, it seems
to be using the Beam API properly without obvious opportunities for large
improvement. Great work!

A couple of suggestions:
- I think it would be useful to mention explicitly in the paper abstract /
introduction that you are testing Flink and Apex runners, and mention which
other runners are currently available, and mention why you're testing
specifically Flink and Apex. This would be useful to people reading the
paper without much background in Beam, who might not realize that Beam has
many different runners with potentially very different performance or level
of support for features.
- As a member of the Dataflow team, I'm curious :) Have you considered also
benchmarking these pipelines on the Dataflow runner? (especially streaming)
- For the issues you found that are clearly not "intended behavior" (e.g.
unacceptably low performance in streaming mode; pipelines not working at
all with Apex runner, etc.), would it be possible to add JIRA IDs to the
paper, so that people who read the paper later can look at the JIRA and see
if it was already resolved?

Thanks.