Interesting.  Both use cases seem easy to code.
Compress to S3 = cassandra snapshot, tar, s3 put
EBS = cassandra snapshot, rsync snapshot dir -> ebs, ebs snapshot

I think the former is cheaper in terms of costs, as my gut says keeping
around an EBS drive is more money than the lack of deltas in S3.  But, EBS
would allow extremely fine grained snapshotting without storage penalties
(EBS snaps are supposed to be compressed deltas behind the scenes).  Of
course, I don't know how cassandra likes frequent snapshotting, and given
the amount of node redundancy/eventual consistency that seems pointless
anyways.

will