one thing we're looking at doing is watching the cassandra data directory and
backing up the sstables to s3 when they are created.  Some guys at simplegeo
started tablesnap that does this:
https://github.com/simplegeo/tablesnap

What it does is for every sstable that is pushed to s3, it also copies a json
file with the current files in the directory, so you can know what to restore
in that event (as far as I understand).