On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 7:32 AM, Edward Capriolo <edlinuxg...@gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
> etc.)
> > in favor of the more familiar CQL terms (schema, table, etc.). I've gone
> on
> > record in favor of the switch, but it is probably something worth noting
> in
> > the book since that terminology does not yet align with all the client
> APIs
> > yet. (e.g. Hector, Astyanax, etc.)
> >
> > I'm not sure when the client APIs will catch up to the new terminology,
> but
> > we may want to inquire as to future proof the recipes as much as
> possible.
> >
> > -brian
> >

> > On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 4:18 PM, Edward Capriolo <edlinuxg...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> differently.

> an
> noticed

> versus

> contact
> see

> >> Thanks for the comments. Yes the "INTERNALS" chapter was a bit tricky.
> >> The challenge of writing about internals is they go stale fairly
> >> quickly. I was considering writing a partitioner for the internals
> >> chapter but then I thought about it more:
> >> 1) Its hard
> >> 2) The APIs can change. (They work the same way across versions but
> >> they may have a different signature etc)
> >> 3) 99.99% of people should be using the random partitioner :)
> >>
> >> But I agree the external chapter can be made much stronger then it is.
> >>
> >> The recipe format strict. It naturally conflicts with the typical use
> >> case style. In a use case where you write a good amount of text
> >> talking about problem domain, previous solutions, bragging about
> >> company X. We can not do that with the recipe style, but we can do our
> >> best to make the recipes as real world as possible. I tried to do that
> >> throughout the text, you do not find many examples like 'writing foo
> >> records to bar column families'. However the format does not allow
> >> extensive text blocks mentioned above so it is difficult to set the
> >> stage for a complex and detailed real world problem. Still, I think
> >> for some examples we can take the next step and make the recipe more
> >> real world practical and more use-case like.
> >

> > --
> > Brian ONeill
> > Lead Architect, Health Market Science (http://healthmarketscience.com)
> > mobile:215.588.6024
> > blog: http://weblogs.java.net/blog/boneill42/
> > blog: http://brianoneill.blogspot.com/
> >

> As for terminology, I guess you can consider me a hard-liner as I have
> a few problems with calling a column family a table. I might be in the
> minority, but I know I am not alone. On one hand aliases make the
> integration easier
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-2743, but on the other
> hand if a user does not understand what a column family is they will

This is my view as well. One of the big hurdles I noticed with developers
moving to Cassandra is that there is a strong tendency to apply RDBMS
thinking to Casandra - this is unsurprising, the majority of data store
conceptualisation exists in this framework. I can see using names that have
connections with RDBMS is likely to encourage this.

cheers

--

*Franc Carter* | Systems architect | Sirca Ltd
 <marc.zianideferra...@sirca.org.au>

franc.car...@sirca.org.au | www.sirca.org.au

Tel: +61 2 9236 9118

Level 9, 80 Clarence St, Sydney NSW 2000

PO Box H58, Australia Square, Sydney NSW 1215