> The picture shows a sample request, which is why the coordinator points to
> two specific nodes.  What I was trying to convey that the coordinator node
> would ensure that 2 of the 3 nodes were written to before reporting success
> to the client.

This is my point. ANY 2 of 3. Your picture shows specific 2 of 3.

True that, I know that and I'm not debating that.  I am showing a single
request sequence in that picture, and during a single request it will
actually be a specific 2 of the 3 nodes.

> I found the article here, it says that the non-blocking writes to the 2nd
> data center are asynchronous.  Is this blog post incorrect as well?
>
> http://www.datastax.com/dev/blog/deploying-cassandra-across-multiple-data-centers

Why is it incorrect? Everything is asynchronous, both local and remote. The
coordinator simply waits for response from local nodes. But it doesn't make
it synchronous, because it waits for response from ANY 2 nodes.

I wasn't saying it was incorrect, I was just looking for clarification if
you thought that that blog post was misleading as well, as I've been
sending people to that page for info on multi dc replication.  It it was
erroneous then I would have stopped sending them there.   I was thinking
that the response was synchronous more from the client's point of view,
meaning that the app can't proceed until those specific operations were
completed and a response was returned from cassandra.

Thanks for the help in clarifying all of this, it is very much appreciated.
Regards,
Rob