Hi DuyHai,

On 04 Apr 2014, at 13:58, DuyHai Doan <doanduy...@gmail.com> wrote:

> @Jan
>
>  This subject of distributed workers & queues has been discussed in the
> mailing list many times.

Sorry + thanks.

Unfortunately, I do not want to use C* as a queue, but to coordinate workers
that page through an (XML) data feed of events every N seconds.

Let me try again:

- I have N instances of the same system, replicated to ensure work is
  being done despite failure of instances
- the instances are master less and know nothing about each other. Given
  them an integer ID isn’r really possible and the number of instances isn’t
  really known
- there is a schedule, controlling how often the feed is read, say once every
Minute
- the schedule might change by way of an administrator of the ‘feed polling’
- the worker instances check for work every, e.g. 10 secs
- once a worker starts, it checks whether there is work to do (the schedule
aspect) and if so,
  starts polling the feed until the last event has been reached.
- During that time, no other worker must poll the feed
- once the working worker is done it saves the timestamp or ID of the last seen
event and sets the next schedule

- the processing of the events might take much longer than the schedule
intervals

I hope this explains more, what I am up to. Maybe I can adapt your suggestion,
I just do not see how.

Jan