Granted, for “normal” apps it is unlikely to be appropriate but...

>From an old post by Jonathan:
---
Extreme write availability

For applications that want Cassandra to accept writes even when all the normal
replicas are down (so even ConsistencyLevel.ONE cannot be satisfied), Cassandra
provides ConsistencyLevel.ANY. ConsistencyLevel.ANY guarantees that the write
is durable and will be readable once an appropriate replica target becomes
available and receives the hint replay.
---
See:
http://www.datastax.com/dev/blog/understanding-hinted-handoff

I can think of a couple of use cases: sensor data where the devices are
streaming frequently, so losing a reading is not a big deal because another
reading is coming soon anyway, and a Twitter firehose where you are after a
robust sample rather than absolute consistency. Minimizing network latency may
be a bigger deal than whether immediate queries can see the data.

And as the description notes, hinted handoff will eventually propagate the data
(unless it times out and drops the hint.)

-- Jack Krupansky