Thanks of the feedback…

In hindsight.. I think what happened was that the new node started up… and
the driver wanted to write records to it… but the ports weren't up.

so I wonder if this is a bug in the datastax driver.

On bootstrap, and when joining, does cassandra always keep the ports
offline and then only open them up with the node has joined?

--

Founder/CEO Spinn3r.com