Jack,

Thanks for your answer. I guess, I'm a little confused by general
architecture choice. It doesn't seem to be consistent to me. I mean, if we
are building the layer of database specific security (i.e. we are saying,
let's assume intruder is on the box, and he is root, what we can do?), then
it is perfectly logical to build keystore and truststore, hide our keys and
certificates there, encrypt the file with passwords from these stores and
keep the key of the box. That is great, and as a security architect I
applaud this.

Now, if we are saying - no, we are banking on the fact nobody will break
into the box, and if root is lost - all bets are off, that is fine too. But
in this case, what is the point to even have keystore and truststore?

Thanks,

Oleg