On 12/21/2016 08:38 AM, Eric Evans wrote:
> I don't really have any opinions on Oracle per say, but Cassandra is a
> Free Software project and I would prefer that we not depend on
> commercial software, (and that's kind of what we have here, an
> implicit dependency).

Just a bit of clarification. The debian packages depend on OpenJDK as
the first preference, then the meta-package that may be satisfied by a
custom rolled Oracle-based deb:

  https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/trunk/debian/control#L14

I dug through the pseudo packages that RHEL/CentOS provide in the vendor
OpenJDK rpms and selected 'jre' when I committed:

  https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/trunk/redhat/cassandra.spec#L23

In both cases, an install of packaged deb or rpm will pull in OpenJDK by
default, unless the user goes out of his/her way to override this.

--
Kind regards,
Michael