On Thu, Feb 2, 2023 at 5:23 AM Rony G. Flatscher (Apache) <r...@apache.org>
wrote:

> On 01.02.2023 14:42, robertlazarski wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 1, 2023 at 3:32 AM robertlazarski <robertlazar...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> A couple years ago after using J2V8 - they only support Android now - we
> >> moved to the Javet project that is Apache licensed.
> >>
> >> On a scale of 1/10 I give it a 10. They do an impressive release about
> >> once a month lately and most importantly they ship with the latest V8
> which
> >> is important for us.
> >>
> >> If you need something else besides JS though I have no idea.
> >>
> > I forgot about GraalVM but the performance wasn't much better than Rhino
> > but it is a small improvement.
> >
> > For us, Javet is by far the best one out there.
>
> It seems that Google's J2V8 according to [1] does not support JSR-223/BSF,
> which is unfortunate as
> it breaks/ignores the Java scripting framework (BSF 3 would have allowed
> them to employ it in the
> Harmony days already).
>
> Your complaints seem to be about the speed of different JavaScript
> implementations in Java, if I
> read that correctly, and that you have experienced that Google's
> JavaScript implementation is the
> fastest and the preferred one for you.
>
> ---rony
>
> [1] J2V8: <
> https://eclipsesource.com/blogs/tutorials/getting-started-with-j2v8/>

The terminology here is confusing however it is important to get it right.

For the record, I am an Apache committer (PMC chair of Axis web services
and no relation here) and am speaking in terms of the state of JSR-223.

Speaking broadly here as not a contributor, but someone who built and
studied the source of these projects below.

V8 is the JavaScript engine that Google supports for Chrome. It is written
in C. It has no relation to JSR-223 besides some Java people want to run it
via JNI.

V8 progresses very rapidly in performance so old jars are not a good fit.

J2V8 is a one man project with no relation to Google. At one point the
individual provided OS specific jars with C libs and JNI code but a while
back dropped all support except Android.

Javet is a one man project as well, who like my day job also needed to move
on from J2V8.