Hi list,

I'm currently implementing CouchDB backup for one of our customers. The
backup should be generic, i.e. not tied to the needs of that specific
customer.

However, I can't find any consensus on how to properly implement backup
for CouchDB.

System: Ubuntu 16.04 with CouchDB 1.6.0, backup software is Burp.

According to
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-couchdb-user/200808.mbox/%3c32800028-9286-47c8-82a5-1ecc25667...@apache.org%3E,
I can just copy the file from the running server. That should work with
burp.

However, other sources say that the backup will be much smaller if I
dump each database. There's a bunch of tools to do this, ubuntu has the
python-couchdb package (0.10-1.1) with the couchdb-dump and couchdb-load
tools. As far as I understand it, the dump will not include some
(meta)information about the documents, like old versions.

Thus my main questions are:
- Can the python-couchdb tools (couchdb-dump, couchdb-load) be relied
upon as backup tools?
- Are these tool fast enough for larger (several GB) data sets?
- Are there realistic use cases in which these dumps are insufficient
because they miss some (meta)data which was present in the original
database?
- Any experiences with backup software simply copying the database files?

Thanks!

Best regards,

David

--