So already, you have given me some things to work with. Knowing that there
may links to jars/3rdparty was very helpful.  In opening that folder on
drill-1.12.0 I found there were no links/files related to mapr.  In my
drill-1.10.0 version (both of them from MapR) there were three files,
maprfs, maprdb, and mapr-hbase.

So I added only those three files from /opt/mapr/lib to $DRILL_CLASSPATH in
my drill_env.sh.   This allowed drill to start without that same error.

Now, I am being a little different. Instead of "installing" drill via RPMs,
I download the RPMs (and I did this for both 1.10 and 1.12 from MapR) The
difference I think is in 1.10 there was a "drill" package and now in 1.12,
there is a drill-internal package.  Perhaps the drill in 1.10 moved some
things around better. For what ever reason that changed (I think it changed
in 1.11, but I was having cluster issues during that).

That said, I have a drill bit running, but it's not starting it's web
service. I am going to go reverse engineer what the RPM actually does. In
my case, for 1.10 and every version previous, I just took the mapr RPM,
unpacked it, and grabbed the drill directory and it worked great. This is
obviously no longer the case, and I will have to dig deeper.