Hi all,

I am bringing the up again to see if there are any users actively
using the BucketingSink.
So far, if I am not mistaken (and really sorry if I forgot anything),
it is only a discussion between devs about the potential problems of
removing it. I totally understand Chesnay's concern about not
providing compatibility with the StreamingFileSink (SFS) and if there
are any users, then we should not remove it without trying to find a
solution for them.

But if there are no users then I would still propose to remove the
module, given that I am not aware of any efforts to provide
compatibility with the SFS any time soon.
The reasons for removing it also include the facts that we do not
actively maintain it and we do not add new features. As for potential
missing features in the SFS compared to the BucketingSink that was
mentioned before, I am not aware of any fundamental limitations and
even if there are, I would assume that the solution is not to direct
the users to a deprecated sink but rather try to increase the
functionality of the actively maintained one.

Please keep in mind that the BucketingSink is deprecated since FLINK
1.9 and there is a new File Sink that is coming as part of FLIP-143
[1].
Again, if there are any active users who cannot migrate easily, then
we cannot remove it before trying to provide a smooth migration path.

Thanks,
Kostas

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/FLIP-143%3A+Unified+Sink+API