Dharam-

There is nothing *Spring* can do if Apache Geode is not respecting the
setting for the Apache Geode property, "*security-udp-dhalgo*".  That is
all Apache Geode.

Also, I suspect that the AuthenticationRequiredException is not bubbling
out because somewhere Geode is eating the Exception in the chain of calls
and simply logging it (at log level, "warning", no less, as in it is
considered "fatal").  Though, I would point out that even if the Exception
was propagated out that it is not necessarily going to cause the JVM to
exit either.  It all depends on the existing Thread types (e.g. non/daemon)
and their state (e.g. BLOCKED).

*What type of application are you building to configure your (embedded)
peer cache?  E.g. is this a Web application with an embedded peer cache
instance?  Or, are you simply using Spring to configure a peer cache, Geode
server node, that is itself not an actual application?*

A quick Thread dump on the JVM when this Exception occurs will quickly
reveal what "non-daemon" Threads are blocking the JVM from shutting down,
whether that is perhaps a Web application Thread (e.g. embedded Web
server/container request processing Thread, etc) or a Geode Thread, holding
up the JVM.

Also keep in mind, that I deliberately disabled [1] the reconnecting state
when using SDG, since I would assume that a user is using SDG to build an
application using Apache Geode (whether as a client cache app, the common
scenario, or even when building embedded peer cache applications).  As
such, a user would need to explicitly enable this Geode property, for
instance, when the user is only using Spring to configure a peer cache,
Geode server.  To enable this "reconnectable" state in an application is
futile since, if a Geode node gets "disconnected", then all Geode object
references (from the Cache to Regions, to anything else) are not "stale".
Therefore, if you have injected references to Geode objects into your
application components (e.g. like a Region into a DAO/Repo), then you are
going to have problems.

As far as reporting the state, you can determine whether your peer node
(application) is still connected by querying... cache.getDistributedSystem()
<http://geode.apache.org/releases/latest/javadoc/org/apache/geode/cache/GemFireCache.html#getDistributedSystem-->
[2].isConnected()
<http://geode.apache.org/releases/latest/javadoc/org/apache/geode/distributed/DistributedSystem.html#isConnected-->
[3], or even isReconnecting()
<http://geode.apache.org/releases/latest/javadoc/org/apache/geode/distributed/DistributedSystem.html#isReconnecting-->
[4].  As far as trying to determining whether an
AuthenticationRequiredException has happened, great question!

If I think of anything, I will let you know.

Regards,
John

[1]
https://github.com/spring-projects/spring-data-geode/blob/2.0.6.RELEASE/src/main/java/org/springframework/data/gemfire/CacheFactoryBean.java#L204-L205