> Does anyone have an idea how to enable IME in our situation? This specific
> server is used only by Japanese customers, so it is very problematic!

1. As Nick said upgrade it to 0.9.14.

2. Browser check if the focus is on non-editable  field it disables the IME
mode of Local Operating System.

3. You have to check the focus of the cursor and make that field editable
then  it will not disable the IME of the Operating system.

Example :-

var    hasfocus  = document.getElementById("hasfocus");
hasfocus .setAttribute('contenteditable', 'true');

most probably it will work when you upgrade it.

Thanks and Regards,
Amarjeet Singh