I don't think we can provide a definitive answer as to whether mpeg4 (which
is the codec guacenc uses for m4v), jpeg, png, or any other codec will be
faster always. Often, the ability for a codec to encode quickly relative to
another depends on the content of the frames it is encoding. In addition,
individual snapshots add a different type of concern that a video doesn't
have: extra IO operations. A video is one big binary file, tons of images
is tons of small binary files. Each image file creation is an extra create,
write, flush, and close IO operation that video won't have. Whether these
extra operations add up to a meaningful amount of overhead is another
question entirely.

To answer both your questions:
1. Guacenc *could* write snapshots every second of a recording instead of
encoding video, but it doesn't right now and I don't know that anyone has
talked about providing code to do that.
2. It's not possible to know if encoding individual images every second
would be faster than encoding mpeg4 for the reasons I outlined above.

This conversation brings up some other questions for me though. What
problem are you trying to solve? Is it the speed of video encoding? Is it
that you need screenshots rather than a video for OCR? Maybe understanding
the whole problem will help us help you.