At this point I've spent enough time on this problem and can move on with my
project without using @QueryTextField--I'm just letting anyone who's
concerned know what I've seen in case you want to probe into this issue any
further.

I've taken the time to write a reproducer that can be easily run on any
machine, go ahead and run it based on my instructions and you can see
whatever logs you'd like to see for yourself. It runs with 4GB of heap
default, not 1, though feel free to adjust it. With 10GB of durable memory
and 4GB of Heap and a 22GB memory limit on the container, it will consume
memory up until the limit triggering an OOM kill in Docker.