Well, if you really want to go that way, let's do it:
  - faster implementation: i explained we fixed most synchronization issues
which were performance bottlenecks, so I'm not really convinced by that
argument
  - extensive battery of tests: well, log4j is 10 years old and quite stable
;-)
  - loback speaks slf4j: in our case, that does not help, as we'd have to
use a intermediate api anyway because of the other constraints of
pax-logging
  - extensive documentation: maybe that's true, i haven't had many complains
about that
  - configuration files in xml or groovy: we need key/value pairs, so we
can't leverage those
  - automatic relaoding of config files: that's provided by config admin and
we would not use it
  - lilith: i think it can be used anyway
  - conditional processing: we can't use xml or groovy
  - filters: we support MDC in pax-logging, i'm sure we can implement that
if needed
  - sifting appender: it has been added in pax-logging
  - automatic compression of log files: Achim provided the code on github
and i think we can easily add it to pax-logging
  - stack traces: lol, this actually comes from James Strachan who provided
a patch to log4j and we have the same for osgi
  - automic removal: that's a minor feature we could add too

In summary: most of those reasons may actually be true for log4j, but not
for pax-logging.  I don't have any problems with logback, it's just that I
don't want to spend too much time to integrate it into pax-logging.  You're
very welcome to do it if you want, as long as we keep the same feature set.
  If you really need something in the above list that has not been fixed
yet, you can either fix the problem in pax-logging / log4j, or enhance
pax-logging to change the backend, but I just think the costs are very
different.

To your other reply, you're right, I want to enforce ConfigAdmin.