On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 17:21, ceki <c...@qos.ch> wrote:

> On Oct 14, 2011 3:47:54 am Guillaume Nodet wrote:
> > The main problem I see with logback is that there's no properties
> > based configuration for logback.
> >
> > That's a real problem imho because we would not be able to leverage
> > the OSGi ConfigAdmin which is a key point in order to have a clean
> > interaction point with all configurations.  If you are aware of
> > anything that would look like a properties based configurator for
> > logback, things may changed.
>
> Hello Guillaume,
>
> I am puzzled by the your remark. Logback can be configured via
> configuration files in XML or groovy format. It can also be configured
> programmatically via an API. (XML/groovy configuration invoke this API
> underneath). Logback can also be interrogated programmatically. For
> example, you can get obtain the list of existing logger and get (or
> set) the level of any logger.
>
> Why on earth would you care that logback does not support
> configuration files in properties format? What am I missing?

I do care a lot about logback being configure with properties to be able to
leverage ConfigAdmin.  It should be *the* way to configure things in OSGi.
 That way, you can distribute the configuration remotely or store it in a DB
or in any other mean without having to rewrite all the bundles to leverage
that.  That's the benefit of using a standard service.

You just said the configuration file needs to be xml or groovy, which is
different from a properties file.  For config admin, the input data needs to
be a map of key/value pairs.  I haven't said it was not possible with
logback, just that it does not exist, and I don't have the time and will to
start writing a new configuration mechanism for logback without having any
real need to switch to it.

But if you want to try that, it could be nice.  Though I still haven't heard
the reasons why you want logback instead of pax-logging.

--
Guillaume Nodet