Somya,

I do not think you need to change any thing to connect Karaf to Internet. Default settings should be good enough. Moreover, I do not think Karaf has any thing to do with the settings.xml in the Maven conf folder. As far as I know Karaf maven setttings are in {karaf.home}/etc/org.apache.karaf.features.cfg and {karaf.home}/etc/org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.cfg

Thanks,

Raj