Thanks for sharing, Dan. The diagrams explained clearly how the current
system works.

As for things in my mind. Take the schema of <host,metric,time,...>, say, I
am interested in data for the past 5 mins, 10 mins, etc. Or, aggregate at 5
mins interval for the past 3 days, 7 days, ... Looks like I need to
introduce a special 5-min bar column, use that column to do range partition
to spread data across the tablet servers so that I could leverage parallel
filtering.

The cost of this extra column (INT8) is not ideal but not too bad either
(storage cost wise, compression should do wonders). So I am thinking
whether it would be better to take "functions" as row split instead of only
constants. Of course if business requires to drop down to 1-min bar, the
data has to be re-sharded again. So a more cost effective way of doing this
on a production cluster would be good.