IMHO, the differential key of Cypher regarding to SQL, is the way in
which Cypher builds the "joins". I mean, the clause PATTERN or WHERE
written like "lucy-[:ACTS_IN]->movie<-[:ACTS_IN]-co_actor" is pretty
powerful. The rest of the details are unimportant, in the sense they
already have an equivalence in SQL. So, I think to use SQL-like
queries could attract more people interested in Neo4j. And at the same
time, this people will discover the versatility of the Cypher JOINs.

Regards.

On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 10:33, Nigel Small <ni...@nigelsmall.name> wrote:
>> newbies may find it helpful to start with something they already know.
> One problem with this is that it could invoke a tendency to try to map
> relational concepts onto a graph db. The two types of database are
> fundamentally different at the lowest level and if one starts off by
> thinking "where do I put my 'tables'?" they are only heading down the wrong
> path. I mentioned a while back that I felt designing a graph database is
> more akin to OO design that to relational design. Maybe we should stop
> using the word "database"?? :-P
> *
> *
> *Nigel Small*
> Phone: +44 7814 638 246
> Blog: http://nigelsmall.name/
> GTalk: ni...@nigelsmall.name
> MSN: nasm...@live.co.uk
> Skype: technige
> Twitter: @technige <https://twitter.com/#!/technige>
> LinkedIn: http://uk.linkedin.com/in/nigelsmall
>

> On 5 November 2011 14:03, Axel Morgner <a...@morgner.de> wrote:
>
>> People already familiar with graphs seem to love the original Cypher
>> syntax while newbies may find it helpful to start with something they
>> already know.
>>
>> What about letting both coexist peacefully?
>>
>> Axel

>> > matching and should be awesome at it
>> >
>> > PQL isn't any different in this aspect. Mattias' ascii-art is still the
>> way
>> > to describe your pattern. Cypher is already very like SQL in many ways -
>> > PQL is a way to acknowledge these similarities and turn them into a
>> selling
>> > point instead.
>> >
>> > Andrés

Javier de la Rosa