Am 01.12.2011 um 23:03 schrieb zolv:

> Hi
>
> I have read as much I was able to read about Neo4j with the topic I wrote
> below.
>
> My imaginations of DB server (doesn't matter RDBMS or NoSQL) is that the
> crucial things for DB server is interesting from development point of view
> are (musts!):
> 1. DB server must be able to work as standalone server

Neo4j comes as stand-alone server accessible via an REST API.
You can add other API's on top of the embedded Graph Database yourself by using
Plugins / Extensions.

> 2. DB server must provide transactions.
Neo4j is one of the few NOSQL solutions that offers ACID capabilities and
transactions.

> Can anybody guide me through these 2 things in Neo4j world?
>
> Ad 1.
> There are lots of examples to work with Neo4j as embedded. Actually these
> examples works, I already made some application that was operating quite
> good (embedded Neo4j was started/stopped by Singleton EJB). The only problem
> is that I can use DB via application (x)or Neoclipse. Never both at the same
> time. This is very annoying to stop the app and connect via Neoclipse and
> vice versa.

Neoclipse can access a neo4j-database in readonly mode which is possible at the
same time.

> Ad2. So first thing what I wanted to do was start Neo4j as standalone
> server. The problem was thtat the only "entry point" to Neo4j server
> is...HTTP REST. This lib (as I know) is not "managed" by Neo4j
> project/fellows but some "external" fellow created it. I say - OK, let it

What lib are you referring to? A client library? (this one?
https://github.com/neo4j/java-rest-binding)

There are REST clients for many languages and it is fairly easy to write your
own.
Still, the solution that is most flexible and performant is either to embed
neo4j and expose domain protocol endpoints in your own server or write a server
plugin/extension that provides those.

> be. But the first thing what was written there was "transactions are not
> supported". Only batch operations but from my point of view this is a bit
> tricky solution for transactions.

Each HTTP request is a single transaction. Other approaches that handles
transaction over the wire individually and longer running are planned.

> Am I missing something?
> I hope I do, because in this situation, Neo4j isn't actually interesting DB
> server/solution...but I want it to be.

I would like to know some more detailed reasons for that, so far we haven't
received this kind of response.

Thanks a lot

Michael