On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 5:12 PM, Dmytrii Nagirniak <dna...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 03/12/2011, at 2:53 AM, Jacob Hansson wrote:
>
> > This is similar to the approach we're looking at, except interaction
> > currently looks like:
> >
> > POST /tx
> > 200: 1
> >
> > POST /tx/1/node {"name":"Steven"}
> > 201
> >
> > POST /tx/1/batch [blah blah]
> > 200
> >
> > PUT /tx/1/state "COMMITTED"
>
> Yeah. Right. We do need the Trn Id for each request. Missed that part.
> I just wonder maybe there is a way to do it without modifying existing
> API? (HTTP header is going to be harder).

The idea with this approach is that the current API would remain exactly
the way it is (and each request to the old endpoints would be within a
single transaction, just like today). We just add this "tx" resource to do
transactional operations across multiple requests.

> Also I think I'll start to work on a new Ruby REST client (
> https://github.com/dnagir/morpheus) and it would be good to know the API
> in advance if possible (or maybe how to discover it).

So none of this is decided on, the approach I posted is one direction we're
experimenting in. The reason I can't give you a commitment to some
particular direction is that we're still debating and testing approaches.
It gets complex, because the issue is not just transactions, but thoughts
about throughput and latency as well.

Figuring this out is a high-priority issue, but we are currently spread too
thin to put a full time developer on it. Me and Michael Hunger are working
at it in our spare time, and are making some progress. Hopefully we will be
able to assign a full time dev on it before the end of the year, but there
are absolutely no promises.

I promise though that as soon as we have a workable version to show off, we
will post about it on the list to get feedback on it :)

/jake

> Cheers,
> Dmytrii.

Jacob Hansson