We use puppet with fabric to manage upgrades. We don't run puppet from
cron, but we run on demand. Puppet manages the orchestration at host
level. Fabric is used to connect/ssh to these host groups {masters,
slaves, schedulers, zookeepers} and run puppet agent/apply. The
masters and schedulers are running behind zookeeper. When we upgrade
one master, the users won't be affected as the requests would go
through other masters.

On similar note for slave upgrades, we enabled checkpoints. When the
slave is restarted, the jobs running in it are not affected or
restarted.

--
Regards,
Bhuvan Arumugam