I think you need to handle it on a case-by-case basis. I suspect that a
stack update would still be appropriate for most cases. If you still have
concerns, you could always launch a second stack (pointing at the same ZK
location) and migrate over by scaling down the first stack.

I've had success with both approaches, so I encourage you to try them and
see how they work for your environment.