On 2021-02-18 09:08 AM, Samuel Marks wrote:
Mesos is great… conceptually. In practice it requires a lot of work to
setup and keep running.

What my team tried to contribute was a replacement for some of the big
moving parts—namely Apache ZooKeeper—with a choice between etcd, Consul,
and ZooKeeeper.

This was the first of many planned contributions, with the goal to turn
Mesos into a tiny component that you could plugin to any scale architecture
(1 developer laptop, 1 server, 3 servers, 5 servers, 10,000 servers).

Currently there is a threshold for when your architecture is complicated enough + loaded enough to benefit from Mesos. If instead all a developer / sysadmin / DevOps / cloud engineer needed to consider is how many moving
parts they have in their own applications (say: Postgres, MySQL,
Kubernetes, Kafka), and they thought of Mesos as a simple coordinator
between these and their scarce resources, then IMHO Mesos would have a
renewed community and interest, and not be falling into the background.

The other side of things is that most everyone is now comfortable using
cloud hosted services, like DBaaS, container-as-a-Service,
queue-as-a-Service, datalake-as-a-Service &etc. The landscape has become so skewed that, from my experience, very few new engineers + new engineering
companies are able to offer complete packages in public [and private]
clouds.

If Mesos makes some key architectural changes, to the point where anyone
can use it without so much as a second thought, to the benefit of their
compute resources, then I'd expect a huge growth here.

Samuel Marks
Charity <https://sydneyscientific.org> | consultancy <https://offscale.io>
| open-source <https://github.com/offscale> | LinkedIn
<https://linkedin.com/in/samuelmarks>

PS: My company may even sponsor further development.