Some perspective from someone who went through something similar with Apache Aurora:

It's not as simple as electing new committers. It takes time to develop the trust needed to add new members to the PMC, and that's the most important aspect of keeping the project going under Apache (my opinion/experience). Apache rules dictate that there must be 3 *active* PMC members at all times.

Anything that the project does requires at least 3 PMC members to give a +1. What happened to us in Aurora was that we got to a place where people didn't want to see it die so we kept putting off moving the Apache version of the project to the Attic and rebooting as a standalone project.

There were several reasons for eventually moving the project to the Attic but the most important one being we ran out of folks with enough history with the project to step into the PMC role. The folks that did step up, through no fault of their own, did not have the time to dedicate to the project (I can only imagine Mesos demands way more time than Aurora behind the scenes).

So all official operations ended up taking for ever due to the challenge of finding the minimum number of votes, the overhead of writing reports about the project status (not a huge burden, but someone has to do it), and eventually, it was impossible to do anything. It was consistently back to square one and trying to find PMC candidates until none were left.

And then it basically becomes a bootstrapping problem as Charles-François Natal is experiencing right now. That is to say, you can't get new contributors to shepherd into committer and into the PMC if you don't have an active PMC.

I'm not saying Aurora is/was as popular of a project as Mesos, but I am saying the reality is that it's hard to find the right folks to take the reins this late in the game. Especially when so many qualified contributors are moving on.

Given the circumstances, including Vinod looking to step down and D2iQ sunsetting Mesos, and with many of the former contributors moving on, I very much agree with Benjamin Bannier suggestion to move the project into the Attic.

If someone still has the keys to https://github.com/mesos/ , an option would be to revive that org and continue quality of life updates to Mesos there.

-Renan