There are many functions that use the global configuration.  For example,
GET_GEO in org.apache.metron.enrichment.stellar.GeoEnrichmentFunctions.
There might be a better example, but that is one is staring at me at the
moment.

There is an OBJECT_GET function defined in
org.apache.metron.enrichment.stellar.ObjectGet that was purpose-built to
retrieve files from HDFS.  If you wanted to retrieve a configuration from
HDFS that would be a good example (if you can't just use that functions
directly).