Please do not write personal emails (use Reply All :))

OK

let's do investigation together step-by-step

you are calling services/user/hash REST function

in API it is:
http://openmeetings.apache.org/openmeetings-webservice/apidocs/org/apache/openmeetings/webservice/UserWebService.html#getRoomHash-java.lang.String-org.apache.openmeetings.db.dto.user.ExternalUserDTO-org.apache.openmeetings.db.dto.room.RoomOptionsDTO-

(you have to go to API doc page:
http://openmeetings.apache.org/openmeetings-webservice/apidocs/index.html
find UserService
find /hash function)

As you can see this function takes ExternalUserDTO
<http://openmeetings.apache.org/openmeetings-db/apidocs/org/apache/openmeetings/db/dto/user/ExternalUserDTO.html?is-external=true>
as
user parameter
This object has profilePictureUri:
http://openmeetings.apache.org/openmeetings-db/apidocs/org/apache/openmeetings/db/dto/user/ExternalUserDTO.html#setProfilePictureUrl-java.lang.String-

So the question is: what string are you passing as profilePictureUrl?
could you provide an example of your PHP user array (with personal details
like real name/email stripped/masked) ?