On 03/05/2015 10:52 AM, Chris wrote:
> Something to discuss:
>
> Recently i've seen some blogposts about upgrade problems or ownCloud usage
> and mostly havn't found those in the core bugtracker as a bugreport or at
> the documents tracker as an enhancement.

[snip]

> I really don't get it why people spend so much time in writing blogposts and
> just don't report it back to the project itself.
>
> Language barriers?
> I don't care?
> No knowledge where / how to report this?
> Anything else?

I can't speak for anyone but myself here, but there have been a couple
of times where I have done similar.

* Some require too many hoops to jump through to just report a bug.

I don't use Red Hat directly, but I do use a few derivatives and I have
been told on multiple occasions "You need to report this upstream to Red
Hat." I can never remember that Bugzilla account/password and it used to
be a colossal pain to get the password reset so I have always just
created a new user/password. (although I did start using KeePass2 so
maybe this won't be much of an issue in the future).

Another example from a few weeks ago, I was messing around with a
program I saw mentioned on another list. Though I had no use for the
program it looked interesting and I wanted to poke at it. I found a bug.
I also recognized how to fix it as I had recently fixed something _very_
similar. Perfect example for Open Source, right? Well this little
private never-heard-of-it-before bugtracker only accepted Twitter and
Facebook log ins...wtf? I have neither. I unsuccessfully tried to use
one of my spam throw away accounts to sign up for Twitter but it really
didn't like that. I puttzed around until it was no longer worth my time
and I sent an email to the *one* email address listed on the site. Never
heard anything back. I have no idea if it got fixed or not...

Last example I will mention for an official bug tracker being terrible
is from a company that has both an Open Source version and a corporate
version. My company bought the corporate version. When we bought it they
asked us to go through their bug tracker to report issues instead of
taking it to the community side because "the community bug tracker
rarely gets looked at by any developer internally". I thought that was
strange, but ok, whatever. Maybe the paid for developers are working on
other things? Dunno... Then I found a big bug. It took months of dealing
with a really crappy tracker and almost no forward progress before I
went to the community. Someone way more familiar than I with the
software on the mailing list recognized my problem and was able to
easily recreate it w/ instructions for others. Someone else knew where
to look in the code. Within _4_hours_ the mailing list had reproduced
the problem, narrowed the scope, and someone had a patch to try. The
Open Source version is great but the corporate version wasn't for us.
This was one of the _many_ issues we had with this company and I made
sure it was on the list that we reported when we dumped the product. I
am not going to name-n-shame the company because I have been told that
within the last year many of the items on my list, including how they
respond to bugs, has been greatly improved.

* Unintentionally by writing a post on an experience. I have two
experiences from my personal blog.

One time I was just comparing my experiences between two different but
similar products. What I thought was just a bad design I later
discovered was actually a bug (thanks to a dev who commented). I hadn't
used the product nearly enough to recognize it as a bug so I didn't
report it.

Another time I had an issue and it really stumped me. The TL;DR was I
thought it was me picking a bad configuration which I tweaked until it
started working. I later discovered that it was actually a bug and
someone commented on the post asking me to file a bug report (which I did).

* Lastly, not knowing where to report a bug and getting pointed to wrong
locations.

I found a nasty kernel bug once. I really tried tracking it down, but
that is SOOOOO far outside of my scope of abilities. I reported it to my
distro. They said that was to be reported upstream to Red Hat. I really
didn't want to deal with Red Hat Bugzilla again...so I replicated the
problem with CentOS and went to the CentOS guys because I know some of
them are pretty hard core kernel guys. They said to go see Red Hat.
Dang. Fine...Went to Red Hat and they said, the patch causing problems
came from Fedora and since you aren't using proper Red Hat, go see
Fedora. Ugh. Fine. Went to Fedora and verified that the problem still
existed, they said that it was a kernel problem. I very carefully and
nervously made a report to the kernel list (didn't want to get flamed
for making a dumb newbie post to the kernel list). They said that it
wasn't in the kernel, but a patch on top of the kernel by the distro
devs and to go see whoever my distro was...damn...back at square one.
After two months of trying (with a lot of effort on my part to verify
the bug in each distro) and having my bug report in each of those
locations, I gave up. It sat unresolved for quite sometime. I tend to
read about new kernels on http://kernelnewbies.org/ and then I noticed a
post that was something like "Fixed an accidental revert on my specific
problem". What?? So I traced it out...it hit Fedora...it hit Red
Hat...it was in CentOS...and is in staging in my distro! I yanked it
down, tested it out, bingo! It works! That is when I found out that this
hardware driver is managed by another group for include into the kernel.
Had I reported it to them, it would have been no big deal. I didn't know
that before and I am slightly annoyed at the kernel list replys telling
me to go to the distro instead of pointing me to this group but
whatever. The bug is fixed now. :-)

Anyway, the point being I can relate to why someone might not post to a
bug tracker directly. As for why someone wouldn't report to ownCloud, I
don't know. I have reported a few issues before and I have found it very
easy to report problems. I have also had a few "Ack! What am I doing
wrong?" moments posted to this list and found really good help and
information here as well. I haven't really messed with the forum so I
can't say, but I do know it gets used. So I am at a loss for why they
wouldn't report it...

~Stack~