There is a REST client for Elasticsearch and bindings in many popular
languages but to get started quickly I found this commands helpful:

List Indices:

curl -XGET 'localhost:9200/_cat/indices?v&pretty'

Get some documents from an index:

curl -XGET 'localhost:9200/<INDEX>/_search?q=*&pretty'

Then look at the "_source" in the document to see what values are
associated with the document.

More info here:
https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/docs-get.html#_source

this might also be helpful to work through a single specific query:
https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/search-explain.html