This is a very odd statement. How many tuning knobs do you have with MLlib’s
ALS, 1, 2? There are a large number of tuning knobs for the UR to fit different
situations. What other recommender allows multiple events as input? The UR also
has business rules in the form of filters and boosts on item properties. I
think you may have missed a lot in the docs, check some of the most important
tuning here: http://actionml.com/docs/ur_advanced_tuning
<http://actionml.com/docs/ur_advanced_tuning> and the config params for
business rule here: http://actionml.com/docs/ur_config
<http://actionml.com/docs/ur_config>

But changes must be based on either A/B tests or cross-validation. Guessing at
tuning is dangerous, intuition about how a big-data algorithm works takes a
long time to develop and the trade-offs may do your business harm.

We have a tool that find optimal LLR thresholds based on predictive strength
and sets the threshold per event pair. While you can set these by hand the
pattern we follow is called hyper-parameter search, which finds optimal tuning
for you.