if we take Spark and its massive parallel processing and in-memory
cache away, then one can argue anything can do the "ETL" job. just write
some Java/Scala/SQL/Perl/python to read data and write to from one DB to
another often using JDBC connections. However, we all concur that may not
be good enough with Big Data volumes. Generally speaking, there are two
ways of making a process faster:

   1. Do more intelligent work by creating indexes, cubes etc thus reducing
   the processing time
   2. Throw hardware and memory at it using something like Spark
   multi-cluster with fully managed cloud service like Google Dataproc

In general, one would see an order of magnitude performance gains.

HTH,

Mich

such loss, damage or destruction.