you will notice in the autocompleter tutorial posted at
http://struts.jgeppert.com/struts2-jquery-showcase/autocompleter-json.action;jsessionid=CE13A626C1A38AC66A47344D139993DE

there exists a <sj:autocompleter with
onChangeTopics="autocompleteChange"but there is no (jquery) function subscribed
to listen to autocompleteChange topic ..
if you look at bottom of tutorial you will see:
$.subscribe('autocompleteChange', function(event, data) {
        var ui = event.originalEvent.ui;
        var message = ui.item.value;
        if(ui.item.key) {
                message = '( '+ ui.item.key +' ) '+message;
        }
                $('#topics').html('<b>'+message+'</b>');
        });

when you publish an event topic you will also need to subscribe listener for
the same event topic
HTH
Martin