I do have the same Problem. But my map does not come from app-context.

The error is the same:
tag 'select', field 'list', name 'country': The requested list
key 'countryMap' could not be resolved as a
collection/array/map/enumeration/iterator type. Example: people or people.
{name} - [unknown location]

my action-code:
--- code ---
    public Map getCountryMap() {