I studied the struts showcase sample of file downloading. I wanted to do
something similar but instead of setting the inputPath paremeter in
struts.xml I wanted to pass it in the url. I was thinking of using the same
action for several downloads and I would just pass the inputPath. But when I
tried using the following:

<s:url id="downloadUrl" action="download" namespace="/filedownload">
            <s:param name="inputPath" value="/images/bg_pattern.gif"/>
<s:a href="%{downloadUrl}">download file</s:a>

and I took out the inputPath param in the struts.xml:

<action name="download" class="fileDownloadAction" >
  <result name="success" type="stream">
    image/gif
    inputStream
    filename="test.gif"
    4096
  </result>
</action>

I noticed that my inputPath would be null and I would get the following
error:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Can not find a java.io.InputStream with
the name [inputStream] in the invocation stack

Is there another way i should be setting my inputPath parameter for my File
or do I just have to make a lot of actions for each of my download?