Well I tried all approaches but I had a small problem with the javascript
redirect approach: I perform an AJAX operation and my interceptor redirects
to a page which displays the error message and has an inline javascript to
redirect to the login page as suggested.

It works fine in firefox but in IE I simply get "undefined" in my div area.

I tried out something simple and had a result page with this javascript:

<script type="text/javascript">
<!--

    window.location.href = "/newbie/login.action";

//-->
</script>

Unfortunately it doesn't work. Any suggestions?