I could have sworn I had read something on the wiki that indicated this
used to work (and that failing to exclude the queues would result in
duplicate messages), but I can't find it so maybe I'm thinking of something
else.  Thanks for humoring my faulty memory.

So what happened when you included the topics in the
staticallyIncludedDestinations element?