Our buildbot 0.8 installation uses sqlite, because that was the default and the
easiest thing to do.

I now have a feeling that some of the performance problems we see from time to
time -- such as the web interface timing out during those unusual instances
when several thousand builds are getting scheduled at once -- might be due to
that.

I'd like to move the database to postgresql. I couldn't find any
buildbot-specific advice about how to import the sqlite information into
postgres. Does documentation exist on how to do that?

http://docs.buildbot.net/current/manual/cfg-global.html#postgres

doesn't say anything other than "PosgreSQL requires no special configuration."