I think the exception is misleading in this case, it has nothing to do with
tagging.
Since you have two networks you need to pass network id of one(or both) of
those. Look at the APIDOC.
You can also make a call from browser using Unauthenticated API Requests using
port 8096 like:

http://<csip>:8096/client/api?command=assignVirtualMachine&account=??&domainid=??&virtualmachineid=??&networkids=??

abhinandan.prat...@shapeblue.comĀ
www.shapeblue.com