Yes, you can have LDAP configured at global and domain level.
Did you give fully qualified name of GROUP/OU while linking?

Easiest way to debug is to run the ldap query manually and see if
it returns any results
ldapsearch -x -h hostname -p port "basedn" -s sub -D "username"
-w password

Also check that `ldap.provider` is set to correct value and there
are direct users in the group.
Nested groups will only work with MicrosoftAD provider and with
configuration `ldap.nested.groups.enable` set to true.

There is a demo of the feature at

~ Rajani

On October 12, 2016 at 6:23 AM, Marty Godsey