Maybe it might be a good idea to keep 4.x for the version with no spec which can be extended without regard for upward compatibility and start a spec for 5.x. which would have some iron-clad rules about compatibility and interface/API stability.

That way everyone could contribute to the version that they feel most comfortable supporting.

Surely CS must be at a state by now where a really stable spec and API could be documented in a short amount of time.
If there was a spec perhaps more developers would be able to contribute.
If the docs were simplified as a result of a cleaner spec, perhaps more users would be able to get it implemented into production.

Even if it takes a few years to get a solid 5.0 out the door, it might be worthwhile if that results in a product that can be marketed as a mature product with clean rules for extensibility and customization.

In the meantime version 4 could be kept going if people want to keep patching it and cleaning it up.

Every major software product reaches a point where the initial base and layers of patches needs to be replaced by a version that is based on the latest technology and development practices or it dies under its own weight.

From the discussion, it may be that CS has reached that point and it would be a lot less work to do a major rewrite than to clean out the accumulated junk.

I am not a CS developer and I find it hard to believe that CS is not yet a sufficiently mature product providing a well understood functionality that a really solid stable spec can not be developed.

Ron