Hi,

The issue was very old (happened in 2017). I do not believe the recent
dnsmasq/cloudstack still have the same problem. What cloudstack version do
you use ?

"Allocated" public ip addresses, which do not have associated VM, could be
used as source nat, port forwarding or load balancer, or even not in use.
You can go to the details page of the public ip, and check the tabs.

-Wei