I was wrong, in fact it is already being tested, you need to do something like:

<init-param>
            <param-name>jaxrs.providers</param-name>
            <param-value>
                           org.apache.cxf.jaxrs.provider.json.JSONProvider(
                             dropRootElement=false
                             attributesToElements=true
                             arrayKeys=a
                             arrayKeys=b
                           ),

org.apache.cxf.jaxrs.provider.JAXBElementProvider
                      </param-value>
        </init-param>

But going the Application way will offer a more flexible approach (in case you need to setup some Map properties, etc)

Cheers, Sergey